Friday, July 17, 2009

Super-late Poetry Friday Roundup and Other News


Three weeks ago I was to be the host of Poetry Friday. And, I'm sorry I let you all down: I experienced a massive computer failure.

Fortunately, my hard drive was saved and, after 10 days or so, I was back in business and buried under makeup work. Now I'm eager to get back into the blogging here and at Big A little a.

First things first: Today's Poetry Friday is being held over at Becky's Book Reviews.

Now, on with the June 26 roundup:

Sylvia Vardell shares fascinating news from Germany (where's she served as a Fellow at the International Youth Library) at Poetry for Children.

Elaine Magliaro shares an "ironic" poem from an anonymous friend at Political Verses
. Don't miss it!

Laura Purdie Salas contributes an abecedarian called "Shooting Star" this week
.

Diane White shares a lovely sunflower poem this Poetry Friday.

And, speaking of sunflowers, our poetry stretch master, Tricia, shares Frank Steel's "Sunflower" at The Miss Rumphius Effect.

Julie Larios also contributes some super-cool abecedarian works this week at The Drift Record.

Laura Shavon offers up "Bus-ting Out: Field Trip Poem," a sneakpeak from her MG We Rule the School: A Fifth Grade Yearbook, at Author Amok.

Laura Purdie Salas is back again with commenter poems inspired by a close-up photo of salt grains. Don't miss them--they are so much fun.

Diane May discusses a site called 3 Lights Gallery--a haiku experience--at Random Noodling
.

Kurious Kitty (Diane Mayr) contributes "Selecting a Reader," by Thomas Kooser, at Kurious Kitty's Kurio Kabinet.

Andromeda Jazmon also contributes an abecedarian poem--"Blessed are the Broken-Hearted"-- this week at A Wrung Sponge.

Andy discusses a piece by Walter de la Mare over at The Write Sisters. Thanks, Andy!

Betsy Bird reviews City I Love, by Lee Bennett Hopkins, at A Fuse #8.

The Stenhouse Blog shares a beautiful poem by second-grader Ellen called "Peace."

Carol celebrates thunderstorms in Denver with "Rain in Summer," by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, at Carol's Corner. (I hear you, Carol!)

Stone Arch Books shares "Vacation," by Rita Dove, at their blog.

Kelly Fineman, who can talk poetry like no one else, covers Shakespeare's Sonnet 106 this week.

Little Willow shares a quote from Chris Evangelista's The Fatima Sisters at Slayground
.

Laurel Snyder contributes one of her (and my) favorite poems--"Why I am Not a Painter," by Frank O'Hara.

John Mutford reviews René Fumoleau's Here I Sit at The Book Mine Set
.

Jama Rattigan shows us (mmm...) all that is poetry in lemons at Alphabet Soup
.

Oh, and one of my favorite writers, Jim Danielson, makes lemonade from the lemons at Haunts of a Children's Writer.

Sara Lewis Homes shares a poem from Rilke's Book of Hours at Read Write Believe".

Susan contributes "Camden, New Jersey," by Kate Rushin, at Color Online.

Priya brings in "Morning Monster," by Jaqueline Jules, at Book Crumbs. (Thanks for participating, Priya!)

If I missed anyone in my deliquent Poetry Friday roundup, please do let me know!